Friday, September 5, 2008

friday night fun

THRUSH?!?



Our nightly routine produces great results. It was a typical evening, starting with a bath.


As I was washing him off, I noticed his tongue had a rather large white patch right in the center.


We finished things up...






... and then I made a call to the after-hours nurse. After a quick trip to the pediatrician's urgent care, we had the diagnosis I suspected. I was told it was a good thing we caught it in the early stages-- it hadn't spread to his cheeks or gums. He's on some medication and it's already making a difference. And much to my delight, he did great, though our appointment delayed his bedtime by a couple of hours. He was all smiles, even through the exam.



On a side note, the doctor was checking his ears and tried to get him to turn his head to the left so that she could take a peek. He fought her pretty hard and she thought his neck was stiff. She started to tell me that I needed to do exercises to help him stretch his neck muscles. As she was showing me how to do them, he began to cooperate and turned his head both ways with ease. She was a bit baffled, but I tried to tell her-- he's just so strong! He's always really favored his right side, so I think we'll do the exercises nonetheless, but it was pretty funny to see her reaction. She said that it wasn't typical for a little one his age to be that tough.

Updated stats: 26" (75th percentile) and 16 lbs. 12.5 oz. (97th percentile)

2 comments:

  1. NO NOT THRUSH!!! AUGH!!!! I'm so sorry and SO GLAD you caught it early and didn't let it go for 6 mos. (not naming names...like myself :() Anyway, hope things are all better now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yucky. I don't even know what thrush is, but I am glad you caught it and that he is getting better.
    How is his reflux?? That medicine works miracles!! :)

    ReplyDelete