Wednesday, December 17, 2008

one year ago today

Gramma Do passed away. Saturday night she had been unexpectedly hospitalized. Not much more than 24 hours later, she died in her ICU room at American Fork Hospital.

Sunday December 16, Nate went out of town and I had gone to the hospital that afternoon to pay Gramma a visit. She seemed her feisty self, proclaiming that she was "hot as a firecracker" when I asked if she was comfortable. Pregnant with Emery, I couldn't control my gag reflexes very well as she cleared her throat several times. I was clearly bugging her, and she told me to leave-- "I'll be just fine!" she said, shooing me away. I told her I loved her and would stop by the following day. I kissed her forehead and that was that.

Around 11pm that evening, my mom called and told me to come quickly to the hospital. I have a vivid memory of us speaking to the doctor in the early morning hours of December 17, who said that it was time for her to go. My mom asked me what I thought and all I kept saying was that I had wanted her to meet my baby.

A couple of days later, we flew to Mobile, Alabama and drove through windy back roads to the town of Thomasville for her burial. It was a wonderful way to celebrate her life, as we saw all things southern and thought fondly of her cute accent and bright white hair.




She was buried at the foot of her daddy, Mabon Elias Pugh,



and her beloved stepmother, De.







One the way to her funeral, Nate, Andy and I stopped for a bowl of grits at Gloria's Pour House Cafe. Fitting, we thought (although I did put sugar on mine, which would have made her mad).





Leaving the tiny town of Thomasville for even smaller Opine, we followed the hearse through beautiful hillsides on rural roads.














After the graveside service, we went back to Grandad and De's home, where Gramma Do had lived after she retired. She enjoyed bird watching and seeing this birdhouse made me miss her.









Although a somber occasion, I was grateful Nate was able to learn more about my southern roots. I proudly displayed this closet for him, as it was literally inside of it where I fell in love with him.

In the summer of 1999, we had gone to Opine to celebrate Gramma Do's birthday. Lots of family came and we had a great time. The only bummer was that I had met my future husband not 3 weeks before the trip. So I spent hours (literally, hours) stuffed inside this closet, talking on that phone, in the sweltering heat...





I can't remember if Aunt Holly and Corey found the food delicious or if they were mocking my pregnant belly.

















We drove through many little towns on the way back to Mobile. I had to pull over as we passed this house with fabulous Christmas decorations...



... and we had to stop for some great southern food, including Dr. Pepper and sweet potato fries.




The thing I miss the most about her is hearing her call me doll baby. She always lit up when any of her family walked in the room. She never forgot a birthday and gave Nate and I an anniversary card every year after we were married. When I was little, she would send each of us kids a coffee can filled to the brim with candy and a $10 bill. As a child, I remember the smell of smoke and blue spearmint candy that she carried with her. I was so proud of her for becoming a member of my church later in her life, and especially the fact that she quit smoking cold turkey when the missionaries told her she couldn't get baptized until she stopped. She was fiercely independent and had a wonderful little chuckle and smile.

She's sorely missed.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute. I love how you always have so many pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was so heartfelt and beautiful, kelly!

    the last time i saw your grandma was at your wedding, when she sat down and watched chloe twirl on the dance floor and then asked her for a hug. it made my heart hurt then and just thinking of it makes my heart hurt now.

    i love you! i love your family!

    (and i also love happy emery-- and sad emery-- when do i get to hold him next?)

    xo

    ReplyDelete