Thursday, December 4, 2008

live fast, nap hard



At his 4 month check-up, Dr. W told us to wait another 2 months to work on sleep training.
With the tummy trouble, he thought Emery could use a little more cuddling and a little less crying.

Today was his 6 month check-up and my fears were realized as I was given the green light. I've been reading tons of books and saying lots of prayers and am trying to cope with the news. Erin makes fun of me, but I feel like all these tiny things add up to one big one: Emery is practically an adult. It seems to me that in no time, he'll be canoodling with some pretty little thing and his mom will be flashing the house lights as a reminder to come inside because curfew is approaching (which she learned from her mom). He'll be doing doughnuts in the church parking lot and getting into trouble with his sidekick Jack.

Alas, the doctor told me it's time. I'm scared. Like REALLY scared. Like I'm not sure I have the stamina or will power, even though I know that it's ultimately the right thing to do. I'm sad he's growing up. Is independence all its' cracked up to be?
Can't it be someone else's job to help my baby cultivate it?

I don't think I will sleep well tonight, even though it's the first night in 6 months and 1 day that I don't have a little baby boy in my arms.
Then again, maybe that's why.



6 month stats:

Length: 28 1/4 inches (95th percentile)
Weight: 21 lbs. 15 oz. (97th percentile)
Head Circumference: 46.7 cm. (off the charts)


One thing I am happy to report: the shots weren't that bad this time around! No big tears, just a mad cry for 30 seconds.
Distraction was certainly the key, as I had plenty of toys on hand.

3 comments:

  1. i want to bite that leggie. he is to die for, even if he weighs more than my two year old and they fit into the same clothing.

    so, so glad things are getting better and you are getting sleep! it's the most important thing for a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget, he'll be canoodeling with Jaycee. I will be honking the horn! He has the best stats and the best thighs on this planet. Having him sleep through the night revolutionizes your life. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete