Monday, May 24, 2010

baby steps

Holding Ruby, I was on the computer trying to pay a couple of bills. Emery came up to me and said "sad!" and started crying. I told him that I was sad because he was sad and I picked him up with my free arm and he melted right into my chest, brought his head up for a second and said, "I'm sad!". Huge day for us around here-- 1. no hitting during the sad phase and 2. a sentence (even if it was only two words!) out of my son's mouth.

I've been at my wits end trying to figure out how to help Emery to be more gentle and less aggressive. I've been working on helping him label his emotions (too many parenting magazines?) and also trying to not give him much of a reaction when he does hit. And it seems to be working... at least today.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Girl!! This is exactly what we are working on!! Where did the hitting even come from??? He's getting better though, but right after the baby was born he started hitting. Two under two definitely keeps us on our toes! There was a framed picture I saw recently that said, "Keep calm, and carry on"...haha! That has become my motto:)

    ReplyDelete