Thursday, January 22, 2009

sad, sad situation



Over the weekend, the little one came down with what we thought was a cold. A trip to the pediatrician on Monday confirmed it. Although she wasn't our regular favorite Dr. W., she said his lungs sounded great and that it was just in his throat-- a simple cold that would peak in a couple of days and last another week or so.



We had a HORRIBLE night of sleeping (I use the term lightly) in the recliner, trying to stay upright so that he could breath with a little more ease. All night, he sounded like he had sprinted a 400 meter dash. Why is always so much worse at 2am? We even made a sauna in the bathroom for a half hour in an attempt to make it a little easier for him. Nothing worked. I knew we were in bad shape when all he wanted to do was cuddle and moan-- because this child does not stop moving. Ever. Even in his sleep.

Tuesday morning, mother's intuition kicked in and I knew it was more than a cold. We were able to get an early appointment with our Dr. W., who diagnosed Emery with croup. He got a steroid shot to reduce the inflammation of his vocal cords long term and a breathing treatment to help immediately since it might take the shot a number of hours to become effective.



So we haven't done much of anything this week except revert back to the pre-sleep training days-- lots of holding/rocking/white grape juice, a messy house, and piles of dirty laundry. He's been so sick, he hasn't even enjoyed his beloved walker.

This video is from Wednesday. He started sounding a lot better that morning and even got through some peaches for breakfast. Still not feeling too fabulous, though--



Looking on the bright side of things, with all his complaining came a great photo-op. Normally, I try to get a picture of his teeth and it turns out like this:



This time, I just encouraged the sad song he was singing and I got this (click to enlarge):



I even scored a smile.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry he's so sick. That's so hard! I hope he feels better soon. Also, I hope you were able to enjoy your birthday at least a little bit. Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awful that he is sick. I hate it. It is the worst. And don't moms always know best!!
    He is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little guy! It's so hard to see them sick. Gav had a cold for like two weeks and so he was waking up TWICE a night again! It's so hard to get used to that again. I hope your recovery aswell:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was sick last weekend, too. See-- Emery and I are already friends. Tell him to give his mom a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. doesn't it always seem that when you feel like you have one thing figured out (sleeping), they get sick and everything goes haywire.

    i'm sorry. do you need a break yet? i'll hold him in the recliner...

    ReplyDelete
  6. there is one good thing to come of baby sickness. all the cuddles and loves.

    hes even cute when sick. i love the close up shots.
    i can bring you guys dinner, do some cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Croup is scary because it sounds terrible (remember the scene in Anne of Green Gables?) At least you don't have to treat him with Ipecac like they used to! I miss you!!! Please come and visit me...but wait until warmer weather so our boys can all play outside.

    ReplyDelete