Saturday, March 7, 2009

visit to Washington

Grandma Jeanne has been in the hospital a few times in the last couple of weeks,
so my parents went to pay a visit last weekend. Emery and I tagged along.
Of course, the week before we left he started to get a cold, but after getting the go-ahead from Dr. Whiting, we left Friday afternoon.

It was Emery's 2nd plane adventure.
He fell asleep for the first 30 minutes, but awoke with a thirst only Diet Dr. Pepper could squelch.





There was a lot of fussiness and squirming, but we made it through.
A very kind young man switched seats with me so that I could have a little extra room for maneuvering.



Off the plane and finally free to move about, naked time after a diaper change was in order.





Clothing optional, this is his favorite position in his stroller-- sitting up and holding onto the bars.



We stopped in Seattle for dinner with Aunt Terri and her kids, cousins Chris and Tessa.
I had a breakdown with Emery being so fussy and tired, so there are no pictures to show for it.
Just imagine Emery and I both crying and you're there.

We reached Bellingham later that evening and had fun seeing Grandma and Grandpa.
After a quick visit, I left to put Emery in bed.
He fell asleep for about 45 minutes and then decided he'd rather be awake.
I had no tears left from earlier in day, so we both just enjoyed hanging out.



I'm not tired. Who's tired??










He finally gave in and fell asleep for good. Saturday and Sunday were spent visiting family,
including catching up with my cousin Brent, his cute wife Lisa and three adorable daughters at dad's staple, Round Table.

We headed back to Seattle Sunday afternoon and said goodbye to my parents at the airport.
Emery did great during the 2 hours car ride. I think he enjoyed having some company in the backseat.



Nate's mom and dad picked Emery and I up and we spent the night at their house.
Emery was enamored with his Grandpa Wynn and I very much appreciated the down time.

They played with the pots and pans







and Grandpa Wynn taught him how to read.



They were all set for our visit--
the pack 'n play was set up in our bedroom and the high chair was divine.
It's a lot easier feeding a baby who's restrained...



... and one who's armed with his kitchen toys of choice- measuring spoons.



We even got a sneak peek at Emery's new toy box Grandpa Wynn has worked so hard to make!
Here's the proud new owner and the amazing builder.



And here's Emery thanking his Grandpa for the fabulous custom gift!



First thing Monday morning, sweet Meggy and her little guy Daniel
picked us up for lunch downtown and then a trip to the airport.

Daniel and Emery got acquainted again, since our last visit during Thanksgiving.
They were enthralled with the each other's glasses.



We had a yummy lunch with my cute friends Candace and Jenny,
Jenny's adorable 6 month old Ethan and Grandma Lola,
after meeting up at one of our favorite stores, Land of Nod.





Randomly, Ethan and Emery had matching Old Navy outfits.
Great moms/minds think alike, Jenny!





On the way back to the car, the boys enjoyed a stroll in the warm sun.



We got to the airport in plenty of time and luckily ran into Aunt Lindsy, the wife of Nate's brother Kurt. She works at the airport and was able to help me get everything through security in one piece. She was a life saver and I can't possibly think of having traveled that day without her.

The flight was delayed two hours, but because we were there so early, we got bumped onto an earlier one. It couldn't have been better-- I strapped Emery into the Bjorn right before we boarded (after changing his diaper, feeding him, putting him into his PJs, and anything else I could think of that he might possibly need or want). After struggling onto the plane, we sat down and 4 minutes later he was sleeping soundly with his head on my shoulder.

He didn't wake up until we landed.

It was a thing of beauty for all passengers on board, especially those who had rolled their eyes seeing us take our seat. I even got a comment from one of them that I had a perfect little traveler. If only he had been on our flight to Seattle-- he wouldn't have said the same thing!!

I couldn't have been happier to see my smiling husband at baggage claim. All in all, I was proud of myself for staying the extra day. It was hard work but well worth it. Thanks to all for making it such a fun extended visit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment