Tuesday, March 2, 2010

the goal: go home

I pleaded with the doctor, but given the complications I had, he said it'd be best to stay an extra day until Monday. I'm not sure WHY I'd want to leave-- given the delicious meals served.



It was a blessing in disguise, though, as Ruby's bilirubin levels rose and she needed phototherapy. And we were lucky enough that Grandma Nona was so willing to keep up with Emery the whole weekend.

So Ruby tanned most of Monday.



Not nearly as traumatizing as when Emery was under the lights for 24 hours in the nursery, they now let the babies be treated in the mother's room so you can always be close by to comfort, love, and readjust as needed.



Also unlike Emery, Ruby didn't complain much.



She did OK on her back, but much preferred snuggling in on her belly. She actually slept 3 hours straight and had to be woken for her feeding.





On Sunday morning, the nurses asked me what my goal was for the day-- take a shower, walk around more... I said "go home". While we ended up staying the extra day, it was certainly a goal worth reaching for!



And then it happened. Her levels came back more stable Monday afternoon and they said she could be off the lights at the hospital and on a biliblanket at home, instead.



So we got her dressed in lots of pink.







And headed home.

1 comment:

  1. Only in Utah would they serve up the green jello with "stuff" mixed in!

    Before Connor arrived, when I was admitted, there were way too many days of all-I-could-eat plain jello (the only way my Chicago hospital served it), italian ice, and chicken broth. Since then, whenever I have any of those 3 items, I go right back to how I felt... pregnant and STARVING! :(

    Sp glad you were both able to break out of there!!

    ReplyDelete