Tuesday, June 2, 2009

sad update



Emery got a fever of 102 degrees on Friday afternoon. I got him in a cool bath and it seemed to relieve him. But then night fell and we were both awake for most of it. Same thing Saturday and Sunday nights. I thought it was teething, but felt like he was still not doing well, so I took him in yesterday to the doctor.

Turns out he has a viral infection in his mouth that's akin to giant cold sores in his throat and on his soft palate. The PA said that he is in constant pain when he swallows and it would be hard to sleep, thus the last four days. Excessive drooling and irritability are also symptoms. Poor little one!! It also explained why he seemed to do so much better once we used ora-gel. We thought it was cutting down on the teething pain, but turns out it probably numbed the back of his mouth, so he could finally swallow without much hurting (he had screamed for 45 minutes straight at that point).

With lots of motrin and hugs and kisses, he is faring better today. He slept most of the night last night and has even taken a 2 hour nap today... the sun is shining and so are we!

Current weight: 27 lbs. 2 oz.
Current height: 30 1/2 in.

5 comments:

  1. At least he's feeling better now!

    And 27 pounds? TWENTY SEVEN? My two year old weighs 26. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor little guy! I am glad he is feeling a little better. It is so hard when kids are sick. He is so darling. I love the pics of him taking a bath in the sink. We did that when we were little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and we just played with him on monday--he seemed so happy and fine! im sorry for you all. hope this is the end of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have the same thing -- 2 canker sores and a sore throat. And I have been REALLY ornery today, just ask my family. Glad you found the problem, poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad days, Kelly. Poor little guy. Glad he is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete