Thursday, June 17, 2010

Ruby's turtle neck

At Ruby's two month check up, I told Dr. W that she often leaned her head to her left side. He checked things out and said she was fine and to just keep an eye on it. Over the last two weeks, it has gotten much more noticeable and so I called the triage nurse this morning, who said I should bring her in immediately and not wait until her 4 month check up at the end of the month.

Come to find out, she has a mild case of torticollis, which is a condition where, on one side of her neck, the muscles are too tight. It's like a permanent kink on the left side of her neck. Diagnosis: lots of tummy time and physical therapy. The PT doesn't worry me, but upping the tummy time makes me nervous-- she hasn't gotten much of it because Emery has a habit of stepping on anything that's in his way, including his sister. We'll see how it goes...

And one other thing-- she weighed 19.1 lbs. today. That's bigger than Emery if memory serves me well and I thought he was a big little guy. As Grandma Jeanne would say, I wish I could put a brick on her head to make her stop growing so quickly!

2 comments:

  1. Uhm. My babe weighed 19 pounds at a year. And at his two year appointment he weighed 20.

    Ruby takes this round... *shakes fist*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Tummy time is hard to do sometimes. Watch the torticollis... and esp. the back of her head for any flattening. (They can go hand in hand.)
    Connor never had torticollis, though drs and therapists had their suspicions from time to time. His head flattening was due to his NICU experience... so we had to do this: http://sprik.blogspot.com/search/label/under%20construction
    Good for you for catching the T while it was still mild! :)

    ReplyDelete