Thursday, February 5, 2009

it's gonna be a bright, sunshiney day

I mentioned to Brooke earlier this week that I wanted to get a second opinion regarding Emery's eye issues. Her neighbor is a pediatric optometrist, whom she recommended. I called this afternoon to make an appointment and was lucky that they had a cancellation within the hour. We rushed up to Murray for the appointment and then down to Orem to pick up his glasses.

Good news on all fronts--
  • the doctor today agreed with the initial diagnosis of esotropia in his left eye and astigmatisms in both eyes and confirmed the treatment of glasses and an eye patch
  • he also said that those two things might correct the problem and surgery might not be necessary
  • because I was a lot more calm at this appointment, I was able to get some of our questions answered-- like he is far sighted, so some of the tracking issues we were concerned about when he was a couple months old could have been because of that (he wouldn't follow objects and when you'd hold him close, he wouldn't make eye contact at all and would look away)
  • the doctor we saw last week called me today and confirmed that the CT scan showed a dermoid cyst with no correlation to his eye troubles
  • we have an appointment on February 18 to consult with the surgeon in regards to removing the cyst, which needs to be done as soon as possible
Emery was fitted for his glasses and immediately tried to pull them off in the store. However, after a minute or so, he seemed to relax with them on. After I handed him the glasses case, he happily left the glasses alone. I did take them off when I put him in the car, as I was concerned he'd grab them when I was driving. Here's some pics in the parking lot right after we picked them up:








When we got home, I put the glasses back on and fed him. He only played with them for a minute or two and then left them alone the rest of the night. The doctor today had told me that he probably wouldn't bother them too much once he realized he could see so much better. I didn't believe it, but it's true!

before dinner--























getting pjs on--









a little playtime before bed--



He's become so skilled at navigating the walker around the house. He can do 3 point turns to get himself out of a corner and he never runs into the door jams or walls. But tonight, it was obvious he was trying to get his bearings, given the new eye sight he has. It made me sad to think he's been living with blurry vision. I'm grateful he's able to see clearly now, but it will definitely take a little getting used to...





13 comments:

  1. Seriously Kelly, Emery was cute before but he is just so adorable with the glasses. I love them. All he needs is a suit, tie, and he would truly be a "little man". Awsome pictures as usual! I love the one of him looking at his hand. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, he is SO adorable in those glasses! What a cutie. I love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm assuming that he can read as well. with those glasses it just looks like he could! too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little neice had a similar problem with her eye site but they did not find out until she was 2yr. You are lucky you found the problem now and not when he is older! He looks adorable in his glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing the changes glasses makes for little ones is one of the most rewarding things about working for an eye doctor, I miss that part. He's so cute in the glasses, and he'll love them once he's got them figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone...those glasses are...PRECIOUS!! :) What a sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love him in glasses! What a cutie. I have astigmatism (you have to remember my coke bottles from the mission). Good luck with everything. I love the pictures you took.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emery looks super cute in glasses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how cute is it that his glasses rest so comfy on those delicious cheeks. and even more yummy are those chubby little fingers!

    he looks adorable, and im so glad that now you know and can do many things to correct the problem. life just go so much better for little emery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm so glad you were able to get in. dave is great. and i heard the same thing from my friend jill-- that maybe the glasses will correct everything and he won't need the surgery! (crossing my fingers.)

    love him. he's adorable, kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so it turns out luke doesn't need glasses (at least not yet) and when he found that out, he started to cry! (he's jealous of emery!)

    hope all is well! what's up with those housewives?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So this isn't in any way related to your post, but I had to show you:

    http://mrbuddycole.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete